On behalf of the Board of Education, students and staff, it is my privilege to welcome you to the 2016-2017 school year in D12! With our referendum behind us, we can start this school year with our sole focus on providing our students with a high-quality educational experience. Because our community stood behind us, we can now begin our journey to becoming a school district of innovation and excellence.
We have many key initiatives that we are very excited about this year, including:
- Implementation of a Next Generation Science pilot at Spring Hills School using the STEMscopes program. STEMscopes is based on rigorous and engaging hands-on learning that is grounded in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math;
- Implementation of a STEAM pilot at Roselle Middle School using STEAMtrax. STEAMtrax will be rolled out within the context of Science instruction within our STEAM lab. Students at RMS will be learning how to solve complex, real-world problems as they engage with new technology through STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math) units. We will be hosting our Board of Education meetings this year in our STEAM lab so that our community can see what innovation looks like in D12;
- Grade 6 at RMS will participate in a 3 Day STEAM Experience in early October. We have partnered with a STEAM academy (the Center for Developing Excellence in New Berlin) to provide our students with an intensely engaging 3 days of STEAM;
Completion of our Chrome Book roll out. We will be a 1:1 district in grades 1-8;
Implementation of a new D12 Strategic Plan. Once the Board of Education formally approves the Strategic Plan, we will make it available on our website. Our community can see what the D12 priorities will be for the next three years. Much appreciation to the staff, parents, Board and community members who participated in our sessions over the summer;
- Continued emphasis on expanding our alignment to rigorous learning standards and quality assessment of our student's learning and growth;
- Four half-day School Improvement Days where we can engage our staff in high-quality professional development. The Roselle Park District will offer child-care for families who need it on the half days. RMS will dismiss at 11:30AM and SHS at noon. Our days are aligned with the SMART days at LPHS. For more information about the RPD child-care option, please contact Roselle Park District. SHS will also be sending home information. Link to D12 Calendar
- Communication will be a priority as we start this school year. We are happy to announce that we will be providing our community with a monthly e-newsletter. This will be a collaborative effort between our Board of Education, Administration, Parent Advisory Committee and the Roselle Education Association.
If you have any questions or concerns throughout the school year, please call or email. We have an amazing and dedicated staff in D12 who work very hard to respond to communications in a timely manner. If the reason for your call or email is urgent in nature, please call through the main office at the school. Teachers have limited time throughout the day to respond to email or voice messages and we do not ever want urgent information to get missed.
Finally, I would like to welcome all families new to D12 and invite all of our families to join us at the Board of Education meetings. As many of you know, we have much to celebrate in D12 but we also have much work ahead of us. We are holding monthly Board of Education meetings this year at 7:00PM in the RMS STEAMlab. Please click on this link for our BOE meeting dates
On a personal note, I am thrilled start another year in D12! It is an honor and a privilege for all of us to work in partnership with parents in educating the students of Roselle D12. If you have suggestions for ways that we might improve our systems of communication, please call or email me at [email protected] or 630-529-2091.
Here’s to an amazing 2016-2017 school year!
Dr. Melissa Kaczkowski “Dr. K”